Monday, September 8, 2008

Stress Sandwich

So much has been going on that I haven't posted much. This last week was horrible At the time, I thought it was just me, or maybe my family. After going to church Sunday, I discovered the stress/distress level was universally high. Seems like every one I spoke to had struggled last week. So what was my Sunday lesson on? The "pride cycle."

When things are going well in our lives, (step one) we get comfortable and a little casual in our relationship with deity. Then (step two) we get a little prideful, or too material-occupied. We get forgetful as to where these blessings come from. We stop studying our scriptures, or maybe miss saying our prayers. And BAM! Satan moves in.

We find ourselves in a situation beyond our comfort level. (Step three) Perhaps reaping the harvest of prior bad choices. If we have used our money a little wantonly, and find we are short for necessary bills. Maybe our use of time, has put us in a bind. We find our priorities askew. Perhaps we find ourselves giving in to weaknesses that we thought we had combated in the past and put behind us. Whatever the situation, the cause is the same. We let something else come between us and our walk with the Lord. Something outside came between our goal of returning with honor to Him.

Sometimes step three can last a long time. A VERY long time. Sometimes it's hard to accept the fact we screwed up. It has to be someone else's fault. Or it was such a unique situation. I think about the Eagle's song "Get Over It."

"...They point their crooked little fingers at everybody else

Spend all their time feelin’ sorry for themselves

Victim of this, victim of that...

You drag it around like a ball and chain

You wallow in the guilt; you wallow in the pain..."


I've done that. I've lived there.

The "Good News" is that you don't have to KEEP living that way. THAT is what the Lord freed us from! The path to the fourth and last step is recognizing that simple truth. Step three last only as long as it takes you to be willing to ask for forgiven and put the Lord make into your "bull's eye". Make Him the target of your life. I have come to the conclusion - no drum-roll, please - that prayer and scripture reading is the answer to ALL our problems.

I know this may sound simplistic. Ironically, it is. That's why it overlooked so much. We live in a very sophisticated world. An electronically advanced society. Bluetooth. I-phone. Wi-Fi. Cyber cafes. We trust and use them daily. Praying into a celestial "hot line" seems too bizarre, I guess. That there might be a force that could move mountains, stop rainfall, preserve life in improbable situations, guide us through the maze of our life in a way that would give us peace and honor. How improbable is that? I choose to believe. I choose to trust.

I AM human and I will make mistakes. That is a given. There is no reason to wallow in our short-comings. That would be de-valuing Christ's sacrifice, what we LDS folk call the Atonement. To not apply that beautiful principle to our OWN shortcomings would be like saying what He did was good enough for everyone else, but OUR situation is unique. WE require more. (Paraphrased from a wonderful book I read and gave to all my children at Easter this year: The Peacegiver) I think not. In the history of the world, this TRULY was one gift that fit ALL. Including me. Including you. Including those who choose NOT to accept it at this time. He atoned for ALL.

I don't think I have ever shared the Eagles AND the Atonement together before -amazing.

Reminds me of this Sunday. One of my favorite guys at church came up to share the purchase of his NEW truck. He asked me to guess what kind it was. I guessed a '57 Ford pick-up, as that is my "dream car." He said NO! It's a 2008 v-8 Toyota Tundra! Just like in your "Toyota Tundra Lesson!!" I laughed and laughed. I agree sometimes I bring some unusual things into my lessons - but that is just me. I see the Lord in all things, or try to. The more you look for His love, the more you find it. Take look around and see what you find!

3 comments:

Ericka said...

So good and so true. By the way, we took our vaccuum in and it looks like it will be $150 with parts & labor, but they not sure yet. They have to send it in. Looks like we will be shopping for a new one. I don't want to waste anymore money on that thing! I'm not really stressing though. We sure were blessed with the car.

Coastalgrannie said...

If something HAD to break, better it was the vacuum. The car - wow. That could get expensive fast. You guys ought to get on a vacuum field-testing program! have them let you test their proto-types! If they could survive, we would have superior vacuums!

Arya said...

I know what you mean about stress - it was a wild week and nothing major and I was so glad to walk into sunday school and see that the "cycle" was being taught as the lesson. It's a really good one for sure.