Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Happy Birth-Day, Briggs!


Literally.

One of my "under-construction" grandchildren became a completed little boy today. I don't have any grandma-pictures to share yet. Those with cameras, present at the time, haven't shared. I am about a thousand miles away. What a great week this will be. Briggs joined our family, Matt (the new daddy) gets to go to the temple, and my oldest granddaughter (and first grandchild) will be baptized.

Yesterday was the scheduled induction day for Heather. She went into the hospital in the morning. Things progressed slowly and twelve hours later, she was still not ready to deliver. I was getting periodic updates on her progress. I was at work, thinking about what was happening in Utah. Late in the evening, I got a call saying they were calling the doctor to come to the hospital and bringing in the delivery cart. It was nearly midnight. I told them to call me when Briggs was born, however late it was. I wasn't going to go to bed until I heard.

I left work, drove home, and waited. After about an hour, I couldn't stand it any longer. I called them. I was afraid something bad had happened. No - everything was fine. There was just a new baby to distract everyone!

I told the guys at work my story. One had a story to beat mine. When their first grandbaby was born, his wife went to the hospital, promising to keep him posted. Like me, he got updates right up to the final moment. Then nothing. Like me, he got frustrated and finally called his wife. He asked if everything was okay. She gushed, "Oh yes! I have three rolls of pictures! He's so beautiful! I'm on my way home now." He calmly asked, "Did you forget anything?" She thought carefully and replied, "No - I have the camera; I'm sure I'm fine." Then he lowered the boom. "What about the phone call you promised to make two hours ago?" There was a long silence. "The baby was SO cute...." "And you wanted to document EVERYTHING, right..." he finished for her. Her reply? "I love you!"

5 comments:

Jason,Pauline,Emma said...

thats wonderful news about your grandson I know how happy you must be and how you will be looking forward to seeing him

Chrissy said...

Matt and I just drove down to see Briggs for the first time, since my class got out early. He's a cute baby. They say he looks just like Matt but it's hard for me to see that on any baby right away. They just look like a baby to me. I'm excited for you to be out here!! I love you!

Coastalgrannie said...

Did you take pictures???? (Do I realize whom I am speaking to??) Post them!! Inquiring grandparents want to know!!

Ericka said...

I was promised a phone call too and still haven't heard anything either. If you hadn't called me, I'd still be wondering if she'd had him yet. Just something else to add to my "outsider" complex at the moment.

Coastalgrannie said...

We will just be outsiders together. I'm with you on this one.