Monday, September 1, 2008

Roadside Oddities

I used to travel back and forth across the U.S. when I was little. I was born in the Midwest, but my mom moved us to California when I was little. She was a single mom and when summers came, she struggled with keeping me busy. I started spending summers with my grandparents, back in the Midwest. Summer took me east-bound. Fall brought me westbound. Sometimes I flew (we're talking prop-jobs, not jets then), other times I rode the train. At least one trip was a road trip, usually traveling the old Highway 66 in the late 50 and early 60's. (Too bad they hadn't come up with "frequent travel miles" then!) I always enjoyed the bizarre things they showcased along the road to attract tourists and their money. I never got to stop. My Grandpa was straight-through driver.

I have tried to do differently. I find the side trips yield the greatest memories and treasures. On this trip, I recorded some of the oddities - just for fun.

On the south end of Coos Bay, we found this giant spider:


Near Klamath, they had some great things. We managed to avoid becoming this guy's meal:


Crossing the Klamath River, on reservation land, there were four of these beauties - on the corners of the bridge:


What would a trip through the redwoods be without Paul Bunyon and Babe, the blue ox? They welcome visitors outside the Trees of Mystery:

2 comments:

Chrissy said...

That's cool. I'm glad you took pictures, you should start a collection.

Jason,Pauline,Emma said...

thats really neat,I know emma would love seeing the dinosaur.