Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Rochester New York Mission

Before I go to bed tonight, have to add one more thing.

There is a saying that when two or more coincidences happen, maybe it's not coincidence. Maybe Heavenly Father is trying to tell you something. Well, something is going on with my time in New York.

Two of the most influential people in my life were the Siddoways, my mission president and his wife. For as little time as I actually spent with them, their influence has been greater than anyone else I can think of.

It has been years since I last spoke with them. But, for whatever reason, this last time in Utah, I was able to contact them AND go see them! I was walking on clouds after out visit. They brought up so many warm memories and experiences. Things I needed to remember. What was golden to me was that they remembered me the same way i remembered them. President Siddoway and I had some very wonderful talks, which have remained with me for over thirty years. It brought tears to my eyes that he remembered them as well. It made me think about when we get to see the Savior again - the brightness of the love and concern He will have for us. the term "no longer strangers" goes through my head. He still knew me. What an example of the Savior he is to me.

So, we had our "fast and testimony" meeting last Sunday and I got up and talked about New York and President Siddoway. He had shared a private story about President Hinckley with me and my kids and I passed it on to my branch. The closing song was "Sweet Hour of Pray," which had been the song I sang as a duet with Nina Robison in Hanksville, Utah at my missionary farewell. I was a teary, soggy mess by the time Sunday School started.

After Sunday School, Bro. Arnold came up to me. The Arnolds are just one of my favorite couples in the whole world. I could write a whole blog on just them! Anyway, he told me that his wife's brother had also served in New York - under President Siddoway! He told me his name and it was one I think I remember. Turns out, he lives in Vancouver! I am going to try and contact him this weekend when we go up there for Cayden's birthday. (October 1 - 4 years old!!)

I don't know where this is all leading, but it's the most exciting thing I have going at present. That many coincidences...doesn't seem like a coincidence.

The other thing was that I got to talk to two of the sister missionaries I had met there. One goes back longer. I have wondered and wondered about her. They will be having a sister reunion this April and the Siddoways were already working on that. I don't want to miss that. I have never been to one.

2 comments:

Ericka said...

I hope that you get to go. It would be a neat experience for you!

Chrissy said...

Wow! I didn't know about the second part. I think it's the coolest thing that he remembered talks that you two had still to this day. The spirit of the Lord is definitely with him! I love you!