Saturday, September 13, 2008

Ferndale, California

One of our side trips when we went to the redwoods took us to dinner in a little town, southwest from Eureka. It's a little Victorian-style town. It has lots of quaint, beautifully maintained old homes - and Curley's Bar and Grill.




They had hanging baskets of flowers everywhere. And flower boxes.



It was a unusual place. In the lobby, they had a collection of novelty salt and pepper shakers.


The waiter was a little surly and we didn't find the warm, friendly service we had all the other meals. Until I broke out my camera. Which amused my mom.

I took pictures of OUR salt and peppers shakers.

I took pictures of my dinner. I chose a vegetarian plate; stacks of veggies, two kinds of cheese, shreds of fresh basil leaves - all piled on a grilled portabella mushroom and polenta. It was beautiful and delicious - totally amazing! I wanted to hate the restaurant because of our waiter's snooty attitude. The prices were a little high. I was building my "review" in my head. Then I tasted my dinner..... It was the BEST thing I have ever eaten! I have always wondered when on the cooking shows, the chef;s drizzle those little globs of sauce all around the plate when they are plating the food. Now I know. You cut off a bite and drag it towards the edge of the plate, right through the sauce. Just a little - and it favors the bite you are placing in your mouth.

I took pictures of my dessert. Chocolate Peanut Butter Pie. Words fail me. It was better than it looks.

But once I started taking pictures - our waiter suddenly became ALMOST pleasant....but not quite. He became attentive, where before we sat without any attention being paid to us. Maybe it's the Food Network. Maybe it's the proliferation of blogs. He didn't know that I wasn't a REAL "foodie." I COULD have been. Sometimes I'd like to be. My recommendations? I would drive to Eureka again JUST to eat there again. It was wonderful. And if you are going out to eat, take your camera. It just MAY improve your service!

2 comments:

Chrissy said...

I love hearing about your trip in bits. I like how you made parts of it separate blogs. And your dinner and dessert looked GOOD! Except for the mushroom part....I love you!

Coastalgrannie said...

I'm glad that you tell me. I like hearing your thoughts. It's more fun to post when you get feedback. I'm just about out of pictures from that trip now. Now I have Utah to fill my memory cards with next weekend. Will you be on call that weekend?