Monday, November 10, 2008

Sunday Surprise

We came out of church Sunday and found fliers posted on all the cars. It was titled "Ten Reasons Gay Marriage is Wrong." Obviously , in response to our belief that marriage is defined as a union exclusively between a man and a woman. Number one is : "Being gay is not natural. Real Americans always reject unnatural things, like eyeglasses, polyester and air conditioning." And that is as intelligent as it got.

I had the same reaction to this situation as I did to the change in the world's attitude toward Israel during the Lebanon war. I never could see how the whole world could EVER turn against support of Israel - or at least how the USA would ever NOT stand with them. But events occurred so quickly, and there was no way we could get our forces over there to back them up. And Israel truly stood against the world in its stance against the Lebanon aggression. It was a wake up call for me. Suddenly, I could SEE something like this happening. And I could see that it would happen exceedingly quickly.

It was that kind of a moment for me Sunday. The LDS church's value of family and children has always been one of its positive tenets in the media. We have had youth organizations for decades. We have promoted a weekly family night for decades. Our stance is that the family is the basic building block of civiliation. We have always gotten favorite coverage in this area. It has been said that we would not always be in this favorable situation. I wondered how that could happen. Now I have an idea. The world will become more and more accepting of things which go against God's laws. There will be positions we will have to take in order to maintain our spiritual ingrity. We have been told that. I just never internalized it. I never imagined what it would look like. Sunday I saw. it was interesting.

1 comment:

Ericka said...

We ARE living in the last days.