Saturday, November 22, 2008

Aging



It is something we think about, at least subconsciously. I actually never thought it would happen to me. Growing up in the 50's and 60's, I truly never thought I would see old age. There was so much talk of nuclear war. The Cold War was very HOT. There were so many assassinations of social icons. The theme of the sixties was "Don't trust anyone over 30." And we didn't. It never occurred to me that I would ever be one. I thought the world would end - one way or another - before that ever happened.

But here I am - almost 60. Twice the age I swore to never trust. It astounds me.

What is more surprising is what I enjoy about aging. Who knew grandkids would be so much fun?! No one mentioned how much you appreciate small things. How much fun it is to CHOOSE your path through each day. The Lord's creations seem more precious. I'm sad there are places I will never see now because of my mobility limitations, but it makes me want to see more of those places I can still handle. There are still jewels to be discovered.

No comments: