Thursday, November 13, 2008

Quiet Book Project

I'll apologize up front for the way some of these pictures uploaded. I can't seem to get all them horizontal. Improvise. Adapt. Overcome.

I started this project nearly a year ago, for Cayden. Things happened and it got set aside. With a little more time this year, I am trying again. It isn't elegant or professional-looking, but I think it is functional enough. I tend to suffer from the same traits as Chrissy - those of perfectionism. If I can't do something that measures up to my internal standards, I tend not to do it at all. I have learned to "adapt" some of my standards enough to be functional in some situations. My criteria for this project is : #1 - I'm not selling it. #2 - It's for a little boy who won't know the difference for many years. #3 - It's better than doing nothing. Now - how sad is that? BUT - it's getting the book done!

On to the book! This page will have a fishing pole attached to the dog's hand with a lanyard type hook on it. The fish snap onto the "pond" and will have rings in their noses, so they can be caught.
This is my favorite page so far. The penguin is a stacking toy. It unzips and has a smaller penguin inside. That penguin has an egg inside of it. The egg has a tiny penguin baby in it. The facing page is a bed, with a sheet and blanket. It will fasten (haven't decided how yet) to hold a figure in the bed. It will also have a pillow attached.


This page has an egg with a chick inside. I think I will make a few other things that could go in it - like a baby dino. They could be changed out for a surprise on different times. The bear holds a pencil and pad of paper (no there yet) for drawing pictures, etc.


I think this page is kind of lame. It has clothes that snap on and can be taken off and put in the pocket/basket. Maybe I should make more clothes so they could be changed out. If I were to do it again, I think I would draw a person and then have clothes they could snap on to change the outfits.

This page has apples that can be picked and put into a basket and flowers that need watering.

This page has a tic-tac-toe board that holds the pieces. It Velcro's shut so they will stay inside when no being used. The facing page will be a girl with long hair that can be braided and will have barrettes.



I'm not done with this page. It is a flower garden and has a bee that needs to go to each flower. The flowers are attached. The bee will be snapped or Velcro-ed, with an elastic strap.

I have some other pages planned by not put together yet. I will post the new ones as I get them done.

2 comments:

Ericka said...

LOOKS GREAT! I know Cayden will love it. Brenna will like it too, if he shares.

Chrissy said...

At church someone pointed out a piece of advice that they received, which is something I am going to try to remember through out my whole life is something like "Done is better than perfect." So it's better to have something DONE, than not done at all because of your internal standards and not completing it because it's not perfect. The advice went something like that. So the book will be better enjoyed if it's done (whether it's perfect or not) than not done and just in your mind. I love you and I think it looks great!