Friday, November 7, 2008

Many Projects

I am definitely in a different mode these days. I feel a little lost. It's so different not working at the plant and being home. I have started a Swedish weaving project, and new afghan AND sorting through Mom's collection of slides. I found the projector and the bulb is still good. We have watched slides the last two nights. She has about a dozen carousels of slides and three metal slide boxes of slides she had taken while I was growing up.

I have found SO many treasures! I have slides basically from 1955 up until the early 60's. I know there are pictures of me that my kids have never seen. There were some that I didn't know existed. There are images of me in my dance costume - yes, I took dance when I was little. There's one of me in a Scottish costume (that my mom made) for a program at school. One with me in a mu-mu - girl scouts program. And you will have to ask Tom about the Easter dress pictures....AND me in my Brownie uniform. (Did you know that TOm was a cub scout?? See - we were made for each other....)

There are a few of the kids when they were younger, but not as many as I had hoped. About that period of time, they switched over from slides to prints. There ARE some, though. Something I had forgotten was how light Samara's hair was when she was little. She was almost blond - her hair was just about the same color as Ericka's when they were little. I found a lot of Ericka and Matt together. ( I have pictures of the costumes I made for them! Ericka's pumpkin costume and Matt dressed up as a blue crayon! There are a couple of Chrissy - at the LA Olympics - as a little baby. But Grandma and Grandpa moved to Oregon shortly after she was born, so...

I am working on getting them all onto one carousel.

I tried to put my mom's pictures into date order. Didn't do too well. The three boxes have assortments of pictures from all years in each. I'd think I was done with the 1955 pictures and then find another whole bunch. Some are REALLY period pieces! We're talking REALLY 1950's - bobby socks, rolled up jeans - and the CARS! Holy cow! It is so cool!

It is interesting to see how the every day dressing style has changed. We dress SO much more casually now. There are almost NO pictures of women in pants. Women - and kids - wear pretty little hats. The dresses have those big fluffy petticoats under them. It has been a real trip.

1 comment:

Chrissy said...

That is soo cool! Would there be any I could see next month???