Friday, November 21, 2008

First Day


I've been following a blog that encourages people to take minute out of their day and write. Today her prompt was to write about a first day in your life - any first day of doing something. There were great responses.

I thought of my first day in the desert, attending BYU's Survival class, years ago. We had a bus full of strangers reading for things that had only been described in words. It waited for us were lessons that you could only learn physically - not mentally. I remember being dropped off - miles and miles from any paved road. I remember the fear that came over me as the bus drove away. All my worldly belongings were laying along the side of the road, in an Army duffle bag. There wasn't a drop of water to be seen. Then the instructors put us in pairs and marched us off, away from our bags. Heading out into the desert, I felt naked. I felt unprepared. I was sure I had made a big mistake. And I wanted to go home.

That wouldn't happen for another 30 days. There were lessons to learn.

No comments: