Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Sometimes You Never Know


This month has been full of "different" things. We're getting ready for Christmas. We are preparing to be sealed. We want to have a family "celebration" after that - in a town where we don't live and where we have no family to help set things up. (although, that has actually gone pretty well...) We are dealing with getting Mom ready to go to the temple, as well. I don't know if that is going to be a actual thing that will happen or not. (That is part of the stress.) I am leaving my job to stay home and be a full-time care-giver. (Don't know how that will work out, either...) Things are just kind of stacking up in the corner. I watch the pile grown and chew my lip. My neck starts tightening. My brain is going a million miles a minute. I am tired during the day but unable to sleep at night.

And I wonder - Where is all this coming from? WE ARE GOING TO THE TEMPLE. WE ARE GOING TO BE A FOREVER FAMILY!" Where is all this adversity and distracting stress coming from?? Give me a break! What was I thinking?? I KNOW where it's coming from - and he's not going to steal my joy.

AND in the midst of all this - there comes a single, shining piece of light... my step-son has decided to take the missionary discussions again! He's starting to take steps to change his life.

After teaching the Book of Mormon this year - and especially the last two months - these news was something that really touched me. It reminds me what is really important. It is the worth of us to Heavenly Father. Maybe that seems a little backwards. Shouldn't we be thinking of how much HE means to us - or how much He should? Yes. That's true.

But with my background, of pride and a rebellious spirit, I think more of how much HE cares for us. How many chances we get. How close He is to the wayward soul. How patient He is with the rebel. How endlessly he tries to help us in personal ways to overcome our pride. How He honors our agency, even when it takes down the vilest of paths. Nothing can separate us from His love, except our OWN choice to do so.

And when one repents and returns - all heaven rejoices. We can do no less.

1 comment:

Ericka said...

That's awesome. Liz too?