Tuesday, December 16, 2008

From the Oregon deep-freeze...



Can you guess what this is?

A close-up of the crystals on my car's window this morning! I've seen frost before, but never seen anything as pretty as this. Here's a bigger shot: (Please note that the interior of my car is CLEAN!! Matt would be proud...)

The temperature never got above freezing today on our trip to Portland. The average was 23 degrees. Beautifully clear - just flippin' cold! We drove through Lincoln City and then through the Van Duzer Corridor. It is a 12-mile stretch of old-growth timber maintained as a state forest. It is a beautiful drive in any season, but our favorites are fall and winter. Here's evidence of why.



I love having the evergreens "flocked" naturally. It feels so much more like Christmas this year. Last year I was opening presents Christmas morning, still waiting to feel that rush of Christmas-y excitement. It never came. I'm glad this year is different.



Pray the weather is good enough for us to get into Philomath to meet with the Stake President Sunday. He still has to sign our recommends. Even with good weather today, the three-hour drive to the temple took almost four and a half hours! The roads were so icy we could only travel about 30-35 miles an hour. Keep us in your prayers - if you read this.

2 comments:

Arya said...

I called my mom on Sunday and she said they canceled church due to the snow - I was like "but it's snowing here" - of course it hit me after I said it that she was in the Portland area, I forget how weird they really are there...lol

Prayers your way that the roads are good on your travels to get your recommend signed.

Ericka said...

The pictures are so pretty!