Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Cacti Info

I didn't know the Christmas cactus came in other colors, until I read Arya's comment. Thanks! There are some beautiful ones. Try "googling" it as an image search. I also read this:

"Christmas cactus will bloom if given long uninterrupted dark periods. Begin the dark treatments in about mid-October to have plants in full bloom by the holidays. Christmas cactus will also bloom if they are subjected to cool temperatures of about 50 to 55 degrees Fahrenheit at night. Plants will be ready for the holidays if the cool treatments are started by early November."


Holy Cow! These things should be the beach state flower!! We're only getting about nine hours of sunshine right now, and that started back in October - just like the little cactus likes! AND it doesn't like direct, bright sunshine - no problem with that here! It likes cool temps - we are SO perfect for this plant!

They are supposed to be VERY easy to propagate....hmmmm. I may have solved my landscaping problems!

I wonder how raccoons like them??

1 comment:

Ericka said...

It doesn't look like a cactus.