Friday, August 1, 2008

Don't Sell Yourself Short!

Birthday Surprise
Funny Pictures and Myspace Layouts at pYzam.com

Sometimes we forget the power our thoughts can have. There is a theory that we "create" our own future with our thoughts. Think about it.

I have found that every time I tell myself that I'm not good at something, I AM programming myself to not do well in tha area. My brain believes what I tell it. And makes sure my performance matches my expectations.

In parenting, one concept is to "act as if" with your children. Treat them as though they ALREADY have to value or quality you are trying to teach them. It changes how you interact with them. Another way of looking at it was trying to "catch" them being good and praise them for that. You change what you are giving attention to. And their behavior will follow WHAT you give attention TO.

I had gotten into the rut of only giving my son negative attention. He wanted attention and bad attention was better than no attention at all. In the parenting class I took, they introduced this concept. When the kids were playing quietly, instead of hiding and hoping it lasted a little longer, I started looking for them. I remember walking into my son's room while he was quietly playing with hisTransformers. I complimented him on how well he was using his toys and what a good imagination he had. The look on his face was pure shock. He glowed! Then he started cleaning up his room and came to tell me what he had done.

When I only gave attention to their arguing and fighting, I got more arguing and fighting. I wish I had been more consistent in the positive side. But I did learn an important skill and I believe it has greater possibilities. My son has taken this skill to heart and teaches it by living it. He lifts by believing.

I need to be more positive. What goes around comes around.



No comments: