Friday, August 15, 2008

Family Time Again

We've had my youngest daughter and her husband visiting us for the past two days. It's been slower paced and I'm grateful for that. I still don't feel like my battery is fully charged. I'm dragging around and tired all the time. I'm due for a physical, I think I will schedule that. I don't feel 100%, but can't really put my finger on what is different. I just know something is.

This morning started off with Matt's amazing French Toast. It was better than mine! I LOVE when that happens! It means I don't have to be the cook anymore!!


We all piled in the van and took the tour south again: Devil's Churn


Heceta Head lighthouse, which has special significance for them. It was where Matt "formally" proposed and gave her an engagement ring. We claim that Matt has a special blessing when it comes to Oregon weather. The one week they came to Oregon in April, 2006, was the ONLY week of sunshine we had that whole month. It rained before and it rained after, but for that week - amazingly beautiful weather.

We decided to take them to a place we hadn't been in a long time. It's down south by Reedsport. I used to drive in from California that way when we would come to see my folks. You drive along the Umqua River and just before you get into town, there is a large meadow, that used to belong to a local rancher. The elk started coming to the field in HUGE numbers, year after year. Soon there were traffic problems, illegal hunting problems, land right issues - bunch of stuff happening. The rancher sold the land to the state and it was made a protected area for the elk and turn-outs were made so the public could watch the wildlife being wild.





So we are talking this up to the kids. The last time Tom and went, it looked like a cattle feeding yard - only for elk. There were so many you couldn't count them. So we get there, and what do we see:

A big green field. An empty, big green field. And we drove about an hour to get there. But Eagle-Eye Matt spotted some elk resting in the distance

4 comments:

Chrissy said...

And then we had good ice cream and went home to make perogies!! We had a wonderful dinner, and then we played with our camera making little movies which was hilarious!! We ended the night with a couple games and then went to bed. It was a good day!

Jason,Pauline,Emma said...

Hi Paula
Just wanted to let you know that it was us looking at you blog Jason told me that it was you erickas mom so i decided that I would have a look it was wonderful to get the chance to meet you last year.

Ericka said...

I'm glad that you guys are having a fun visit and that it's less busy.

Coastalgrannie said...

Thanks Pauline! We really enjoyed your visit and getting to meet you as well. That was fun getting all together! Hope we get to do it again! Keep visiting!