Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Okay - I can't help myself...

I FINALLY got my copy of Breaking Dawn. I pre-ordered it and expected to have it on the release date. Saturday I could have swept the driveway with my long face when it didn't arrive. Our neightbor asked if my mom was okay. (I don't hide my feeling well). I assured her my mom was fine. I just didn't get the book I had been looking forward to receiving. She gave me an odd look. You have to read the Twilight series to understand.

I didn't think I would like it. Samara kept raving about the books. Finally, as we were shopping for her wedding in Utah, we were in a book store that carried the series. They were on sale. She had me get one to take home with me. I left it on the shelf for weeks. As the dust was building up, I thought I might as well give it a try. I had nothing else to read and I had already spent the money on it. How good to a "love story" about a vampire be? Holy cow!

I read a few chapters and went to bed. I took it towork with me the next day because I didn't have a crochet project to work on during my lunch hour. I read some that night. The next day I forgot it and left it at home. I found myself thinking about the storyline ALL day. Wishing I had the book to read. I called Samara and said, "Okay, you win. I'm hooked." I went though that book and the following two others like a hot knife through butter. I gave it to anyone I could talk into reading it. We ALL loved it.

As for me right now, don't talk to me. I'm reading...

3 comments:

Mama C. said...

Oh, no! Not another person hooked on these darn books!

I think I might have to cave and just go get the first one (because it's always good to start at the beginning, right? ;) and find out, for myself, what all the fuss is about.

C.

Coastalgrannie said...

Well - don't jump too fast. I LOVED the first three books - really. Couldn't put them down. This one stinks. Halfway though I was disgusted. I finished it just to finish it, but won't recommend it. Looks like she has the same problem that made me stop reading Stephen King. They are great story-tellers, but loose it on the endings. I loved his early books, but kept being disappointed at how they ended. No punch. Stephanie Meyers tied everything up in too tight a pretty package for me. I like happy endings, if they are plausible. She broke her own characters' characterization. This ending was insulting. It's hard to believe the same person wrote the other three.

Mama C. said...

Hmmm...well, thank you for the word of caution. I'll definitely take that into consideration.

I, too, am a Stephen King fan, and I know, all too well, what you mean about some of the endings of his books being a bit too "concise". There were some I read where, when I got to the last line of the book, I put it down thinking, "That was IT??". But, I still love his twisted mind! :)

It'll be interesting to compare notes once I do start reading the Twilight series. It's a few more weeks until the kiddos are back to school, and then my reading time should commence (I always read while waiting in the car to pick my oldest daughter up from school! :)