Friday, August 1, 2008

ocean shots

Have I mentioned how much I love living by the ocean?
I'm Pisces; that ought to explain it. I'm happiest when I am near the water, which includes every place I've lived for the past ten years.
We live in an dune area. That means we have lots of wind which blows the sand up away from the water. The sand builds up behind the beaches and is held in place by beach grass and other foliage. To get to the beach, you have to take little trails over the "dune" area. This is one of the trails.
I have borrowed shots from both daughters who came last week. Seal Rocks again - you'll notice the sweatshirt. Oregon beaches are windy and usually cold.

We drove south down the coast Saturday. The amazing thing about the Pacific Northwest is the geology and the forest. Rocky outcroppings and evergreens. I LOVE them!

Probably the most photographed light house in Oregon (my opinion) is the Heceta Head lighthouse, near Cape Perpetua. The movie Benji, the Hunted was filmed here and in Astoria, Oregon. This the view from the path going up to the lighthouse, looking back at the parking area.

This is the Heceta (Ha-see-ta) Head lighthouse, looking back at it from the south. The coast has its own vocabulary. When you have an area of land surrounded by water on three sides, it's called a "headland". If it's large, it could be called a peninsula. If they are long and narrow, and have some altitude, they could be called "promontories." When these "headlands" affect the ocean currents, they are called "capes" - like the ends of Africa and South America. And Cape Perpetua.

South of Cape Perpetua is one of my favorite places. Sea Lions Cave. I never get tired of it. There were lots of animals in the cave this weekend and lots out on the ledge outside. They sounded like they were having a belching contest Saturday...they can be SO noisy!

Oregon Rocks! Literally.

No comments: