Saturday, March 28, 2009

War Memorial

When I was trying to decide between moving to Utah or Oregon, back in 1997, I made a trip during Spring break. We stopped and explored many places and took copious pictures. One place we were advised to visit by my friend, Anne, was this war memorial just north of Weed and east of Granada, CA. When we visited it, it was just a few statues in the middle of the sage and pines. I'm not even sure it was marked.

I was deeply touched by the display. I have told many people about it. When this trip became possible, it was one of THE things I wanted to visit again. I have been haunted by this sculpture. It just touched me in a profound way. It is titled "POW/MIA"

At the time, people had just left various tributes wrapped around the one post. There were metal bracelets left - the type I wore in high school. We made a commitment to wear the soldier's name until they were found or returned. It made the offerings personal to me. Now there is a large collection.

I wanted Tom to see this and it had the same impact on him that it had the first time for me. Very powerful image.

Another one I remembered was the one titled "Nurses." The women vets of Vietnam were often overlooked for their contribution. And the impact what they saw and those they served had on the rest of their lives.

This is "Coming Home." It speaks for itself.


The girls wouldn't recognize the memorial now. I didn't. It has grown and is very manicured. The new displays are just as touching. This one is titled, "Live LZ."


This one is "The Greatest Generation."

This one is a tribute to the Korean War. I have forgotten the name.

This one is "All Wounded Warriors."

This one was hard to capture. It has a different perspective from every angle. It is "The Why Group."
Another new addition to the park is that it has become a veteran's cemetery.

From the past and the present.

2 comments:

Ericka said...

I remember this place. I think I still have pictures of it somewhere. I'm glad that they have continued to add to it.

Coastalgrannie said...

It was raining and overcast, but it was the only chance I had to visit it. I wasn't going to pass it up. I think the gray skies give the figures a more somber attitude...especially the "Why Group."