Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Thinking about Moving...

I was trying to figure out why moving is so unsettling. A thought occurred to me that moving is a little like a divorce! You are giving up something that has been a part of your life. Something that helped you make memories. You won't be making memories THERE any more. You had patterns and habits that have to be broken. You have to re-structure your routines, belongings and decorations to fit the NEW place. You sometimes are still exposed to you old house, but you can't go inside any more. You drive by and know that someone else is comfortable there. Their things are where your things used to be.

See? it gets heavy quickly. Very symbolic. It helped me to think about it that way. Makes it more understandable for the emotions I am feeling. Knowing I have separation issues, old baggage; it makes more sense. Also THIS move changes my life more than others have. The situation is different.

1 comment:

Chrissy said...

True dat! I love you and hope the move is going well. And if it's not, at least you don't have to be there all day, every day like Tom. There ARE good things about having a job you like.