Sunday, June 22, 2008

Alma and Amulek

I so love this story! There are so many aspects to look at. I think of Alma, the Younger, leaving Ammonihah so "weighed down with sorrow" for their unbelief. WHY? He hadn't always been in that frame of mind; he truly HAD been like the people of Ammonihah. He knew what awaited them if they didn't repent and change. He spent three days in a very bad place due to HIS activities and choices. And in the depths of his "tribulation and anguish of soul," WHO comes to him? Someone who knew EXACTLY how far he had come in his spiritual development! The same angel who had appeared to him in his earlier period. Talk about back-up and support! He helps Alma remember how far he truly has come and how much the Lord loves him. And gives him an assignment. Unlike Jonah, he RUNS to fulfill it.

He comes into the city from another entry point and meets his new missionary companion, Amulek. He had been going to visit a family member when an angel (suppose it is Alma's angel?) tells him that Alma is coming and to help him. He listens. He obeys and counts it as a blessing. Alma sets up a local MTC in Amulek's house. I'm touched by his candor and honesty in telling his neighbors his history in the church. There is no doubt his life has been changed and he know the hour, day and date it happened.

I found a quote regarding Alma and Amulek's relationship:
"Sometimes meetings with other people and the intertwinings of our lives in mortality are more than chance - they are heaven-sent blessings.

Elder Parley P. Pratt described the "sympathetic affinity" we feel around such people: "In the presence of such persons, one feels to enjoy the light of their countenances, as the genial rays of a sunbeam. Their very atmosphere diffuses a thrill, a warm glow of pure gladness and sympathy, to the heart and nerves of others who have kindred feelings, or sympathy of spirit. No matter if the parties are strangers, entirely unknown to each other in person or character; no matter if they have never spoken to each other, each will be apt to remark in his own mind, and perhaps exclaim, when referring to the interview - "O what an atmosphere encircles that stranger! How my heart thrilled with pure and holy feelings in his presence! What confidence and sympathy he inspired! His countenance and spirit gave me more assurance, than a thousand written recommendations, or introductory letters." (Parley P. Pratt, Key to the Science of Theology, p.100-102. W. Jeffrey Marsh, Meridian Magazine, Lesson 23.)"

I was overcome with the realization that Claire Douglas is that to me. She is Alma (without the rebellion) to my Amulek. For such a long time I shared Amulek's past: "I did harden my heart, for I was called many times and I would not hear; therefore I knew concerning these things, yet I would not know; therefore I went on rebelling against God, in the wickedness of my heart..."

She was my role model and personalification of a Gespel Doctrine teacher. She helped me develop the faith and courage to follow my own path with the Lord. Isn't that what we all SHOULD do to others? Uplift, inspire, encourage? Bring the "sound of water being poured" by the Savior into their lives? Be the kind of person who makes others see the Savior THROUGH our actions? I hope so.

1 comment:

Ericka said...

This is great. I wanted to call you, but I can't find the paper I wrote the new number down on. i also wrote directions to a park and I think Jared threw it away or I just didn't see it in the van.