Sunday, June 29, 2008

The couch is GONE

I'm sure all my family will be happy to see THIS photo. My wonderful find from the St. Helens' St. Vincent DePaul Thrift store is now history.
My life in boxes. Why do we in the U.S. identify so strongly with our belongings? I think of those in other countries who live so simply, so unemcumbered. Poorer in material things, but richer in spiritual and family appreciation. When I see how much I couldn't bear to discard, it makes me wonder...
My mom cried when her sofa set from upstairs was removed. She said "It's not easy when you see your life going out the door." I assured her that her life wasn't going out he door. Her life was here, with us. But it was the memories that were attached to the sofa and made her sad. Grandpa and she bought that set when they first moved here. She sees the sofa and remembers sitting on it with him, watching the ocean from their "Sky Room."

I first thing I thought of when I saw the storage area full was the thought I started this section with. "My life in boxes." They are just things. Things are things. When these things are gone, I will have other things. I have the memories whether or not I have the things that prompt the memories. What is truly sad is when the Memories get lost - like with my mom. The things have more importance because she can't remember so much. She knows they were important, but she can't remember why. That is TRULY sad.

4 comments:

Arya said...

I know what you mean about "your life in boxes" I felt the same way during each of our many moves. I have realized now that I don't need all my stuff and have since decided to purge what I haven't seen outside the box in years because I want my home to be clutter free and regain my closets and shelves and storage unit on our deck. It's a hard process and I find I am holding on to things I don't need and will probably never use but they have memories attached to them that help me remember important events or even the mundane but are memories none the less.

((hugs))

Chrissy said...

Is that the couch that Ericka asked if you were going to cover it or something? LOL. Getting rid of things is hard. I don't have enough life experience to add a whole lot more. I love you!! I am really glad you are documenting this part of your life. It's hard and new and a good way to cope.

Coastalgrannie said...

That IS the same couch. Ericka told me there is a site that will make a book out of your blog. I don't do well with the writing in a book journal, but this is someting I CAN do and enjoy. When I write in a book, I think I have to fill the page - or document EVERYthing. I think of more things when they are just little thoughts. I LIKE this - so I will DO it!

Ericka said...

Ding Dong! The couch is gone! I'm singing, can you hear me? Just kidding. It was more comfortable than mine. You'll get another nicer couch, I'm sure, when the time comes.