Monday, June 16, 2008

Have Ye Received His Image in Your Countenances?”

Gospel Doctrine class went well today. It was Lesson #22 “Have Ye Received His Image in Your Countenances?” (Alma 5-7). My little branch isn't big on participation. Sometimes I have a hard time even getting them to read scripture selection. So any time they volunteer and share experiences is a TEN!

I did most of my lesson around the coolest quote that I had found this week. It was made by Leslie Weatherhead, a British minister, whose church was gutted by Nazi bombs during World War II. “When I am hot and rebellious, bitter and cynical and sarcastic; when it seems evil can win in the world and the battle is to the strong; when it seems as though pride possesses all high places and greatness belongs to those who can grab the most; when it seems that faith is mocked and humility is trodden in the dust, when pity seems weakness and sympathy folly, when a foul egotism rises up within me bidding me assert myself; serve my own interest and look out for number one; then, O my God, as I listen down the corridor of the years for the voice of the Almighty, may I hear the gentle splashing of water in a basin and see the Son of God washing His disciples’ feet.”
“The world is sick of power that struts. It is hungry and searching for power that serves. Through whom, in your life, have you heard the gentle splashing of water? Who in your life has heard the gentle splashing of water through you?” (http://www.lwml.org/docs/Prayer_Service_2008.pdf)

Seems particularly inspired in this election year.

No comments: