Saturday, February 28, 2009

Bulb Update.

I got Mom an azalea for Valentine's Day. I wanted something we could keep and use for color out on the deck. It's really small but if we re-pot it I'm hoping it will be the ones we left in Tidewater. I can control the soil's pH in a pot better than I could if it were in the sand.




Nature out performed my planted bulbs - of course! These came up unexpectedly. I am going to make the spot and add to them for next spring, now that I know they WILL come up.

These are daffodils.


grape hyacinth

And the short-lived crocus - I LOVE their color!

As for my efforts in the fall, I'm so excited how they are turning out!
I planted tulips and daffodils together in this big tub.


This is my strawberry pot. I put hyacinths in the top and crocus in the little cup openings.

More daffodils and hyacinths!

The pink one is already blooming. You can see the colors on the other buds. they look like little pineapples in the center of their leaves. What I like about hyacinths is that they have a sweet fragrance.





This is one of those entries where I feel silly writing it, except that I am doing it for me. I am so "into" this project. I was soooo depressed when I planted them. It was an exercise in delayed gratification. And it has been sooo worth while. And I'm not talking about just the bulbs becoming flowers.
There are things we do that we never know why. Things that seems to have no "pay-off" as we are in the midst of doing them. The project of planting them actually WAS fun for me. (unlike some of the routine day-to-day things we have to do)
It was an amazingly beautiful day. I thought it would be a good project for my mom. She chose not to participate. It turned out it was for me after all. I had a glimpse in my mind of what was possible. I knew what I wanted for spring. I exercised faith in that goal. I'm enjoying my reward.

1 comment:

Ericka said...

I wish I had planted some flowers. I really want to get some in our yard this year. And I want to put some in the hanging baskets I bought last year.