Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Dog Days


With Tom on a visit to see his family in CA, I have been left to care of our two "puppies." He and I have laughed about how taking care of the puppies has reminded us of raising our kids. Well, I have learned that as a "single parent," this week - I haven't been able to keep track of both dog's activities.

Toby is sweet and easy going. He loves attention and wants to be with you. He has the sweetest temperament. Shelby is evil. She's cute and adorable - and as crafty as a fox. They are Shih-tzu-Poodle blends and we refer to them as Shih-Poo's. this week Shelby is just being called a little "Shih."

I haven't been cooking much, since he has been gone, but one night I decided to heat up some Foster Farms grilled breast strips and have some vegetables. I set up my meal in the living room on a TV tray and put in a DVD. (Dinner and a movie is something we do occasionally) I can't remember why, but I went back to the bedroom for a moment. I moved the TV tray away from the chair and left the TV on.

Toby, dutifully, followed me in and sat at my feet. Shelby didn't come. Hmmm. She doesn't like to be alone and ALWAYS follows Toby. Hmmmm. I called her and she didn't come. I got a real bad feeling and went to check on her. I figured she was using my absence to potty somewhere she shouldn't. Wrong. There, poised ever so carefully, was Shelby. Hind legs on the arm of my recliner, front legs on the TV tray - eating my chicken! I'm telling you, a cat has nothing on this little dog!

She saw me and knew her goose was cooked. she immediately jumped down, dropped her head and wagged her tail. I think it was the tail wag that made me so mad. It was like she was trying to look mortified at her actions, but her tail betrayed how REALLY happy she was that she found that chicken. She got a time-out in her crate, IN her playpen! Mama was NOT happy. There was no more chicken.

No comments: