Sunday, June 21, 2009

Summer Solstice

Today was the longest day of the year.

I have a different reaction to this than most people. Know what this means to me???

THE DARK IS COMING!!

I live for March 21st (the Spring Equinox), when the day start getting longer! I rejoice in the months between March and June!! I treasure and obsess over the days between June and September as the days dwindle down to the equal length of daylight and darkness. The Fall Equinox brings out my depression big time.

The Pacific Northwest has very diminished sun exposure in the fall and winter. It has grown to be an issue for me. I start dreading the darkness from this time of year. Crazy I know. But true. I don't mind the rain as much as I mind the darkness. Have to plan ahead to have coping skills in place.

From our position on the coast, we can actually track the movement of the sun from June until December. This time of year - the sun sets to the north of us. It will start moving south again until September, when it will be directly west of us. In December it will be setting to the south of us. Interesting to watch.

Maybe I will have to build my OWN version of Stonehenge! Have landmarks to mark it's progress across the yard!! Druids! where are you???

2 comments:

Arya said...

I know William had problems with the darkness during winter on the coast and during winter in Portland. We got him a daylamp and it sure helped keep his mood up. I know his mom has one and she says it helps her too. It may help stave off the depression that winter brings. We keep his on until about 7pm at night. It's a huge help.

Coastalgrannie said...

I've also heard that tanning during the winter helps the seasonal adjustment thing. Might try the lamp as my craft light...