Monday, October 17, 2011

The Many Lives of Socks

My ex-sister-in-law gave me a pattern for making sock dolls years ago.  she made some and they were SO cute!   I've held onto it for years thinking that "one day" I would make some.   It came to the point where I was either going to make them - or toss the pattern. Luckily, I decided to make some!

They are so easy and so cute - I think I am addicted.  I hate it when I procrastinate on something and then find out I love it.  I have made about 10 so far.  I am planning to give them as Christmas presents.

This is my first one.  She already has a home.  I sent her off - naked  - with one of my non-biological daughters.  I didn't have a good clothes pattern at first.  So I am delivering her outfit next Monday!



I forgot to take pictures after I embroidered her face and put her hair in ponytails.  I will get a finished picture of her dressed next week, when I see her new Mom.


The bodies are easy and I like seeing them come together.  It is the quickest part.  It wasn't long before I had several naked, bald, armless babies!  I have been experimenting on hair styles as I have gone along.  I found there was a learning curve on handling the yarn on my sewing machine!  My first couple "wigs" were interesting! 

I wanted to try boys as well as girls - and immediately came up with Orville!  His name just came with him and the red hair!  I want to dress him in overalls!

This was my first short hair try.  It was harder than I thought it would be, but I like it.

After seeing some babies on-line, I thought I would try making smaller...babies.  I love them but don't think I can dress them.  I'm just going to wrap them in a soft blanket.

My first two "completed" dolls!  Not sure they really ARE completed...I keep thinking of other things that might look good.


I think these two are my favorite hair styles!  I'm running out of ideas.

As I work on the next set of dolls, I think I will make a tutorial and post it.  Too cute and too much fun not to share! 

Who knew socks could be so cute!!  They never looked that good on my feet!

No comments: